Serbia, Sweden advise citizens to leave Iran as Trump mulls strike

Serbia, Sweden advise citizens to leave Iran as Trump mulls strike

US President Donald Trump has threatened military action over the Islamic republic's nuclear programme.

Iran US
Iranians walk past a huge anti‑US billboard hanging in Enqelab Square in Tehran, Iran. (EPA Images pic)
BELGRADE:
Serbia and Sweden have urged their citizens in Iran to leave the country after US President Donald Trump threatened military action over the Islamic republic’s nuclear programme.

The Balkan nation had already invited Serbian nationals in mid-January to leave Iran and not to travel there, as the country’s clerical authorities launched a bloody crackdown on a mass protest movement.

“Due to the deteriorating security situation, citizens of the Republic of Serbia are not recommended to travel to Iran in the coming period,” the foreign ministry said in a statement on its website published overnight Friday to Saturday.

“All those who are in Iran are recommended to leave the country as soon as possible,” the ministry said.

Separately, Sweden’s foreign minister Maria Malmer Stenergard noted on X her “strong appeal addressed to Swedish citizens who are in Iran to leave”.

Iran said on Friday that it was hoping for a quick deal with the US on Tehran’s nuclear programme, long a source of discord between the two foes.

However, Trump, after ordering a major naval build-up in the Middle East aimed at heaping pressure on Tehran, said on Friday that he was “considering” a limited military strike if the negotiations proved unfruitful.

Stay current - Follow FMT on WhatsApp, Google news and Telegram

Subscribe to our newsletter and get news delivered to your mailbox.